Thursday, February 19, 2015

The sex thing is already out there.

I had this really weird moment at a party last night where I realized I was the last woman standing in a house full of drunk guys (all friends), and then most of my friends proceeded to hit on me.  And not in any kind of subtle way.  Like, I actually had to say the sentences, “Why are you licking my face?  Stop it.  That’s gross,”and "I can't give you a lap dance because your wife will brutally murder me."

It reminded me of this conversation from the movie When Harry Met Sally:
Harry: You realize, of course, that we can never be friends.
Sally: Why not?
Harry: What I'm saying is... and this is not a come-on in any way, shape, or form, is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.
Sally: That's not true; I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
Harry: No you don't.
Sally: Yes I do.
Harry: No you don't.
Sally: Yes I do.
Harry: You only think you do.
Sally: You're saying I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
Harry: No, what I'm saying is they all want to have sex with you.
Sally: They do not.
Harry: Do too.
Sally: They do not.

Harry: Do too.
Sally: How do you know?
Harry: Because no man can be friends with a woman he finds attractive; he always wants to have sex with her.
Sally: So you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive.
Harry: Nah -- you pretty much wanna nail them too.
Sally: What if they don't want to have sex with you?
Harry: Doesn't matter, because the sex thing is already out there, so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.


Of course men and women can be friends; I consider myself very lucky to be friends with some incredibly good-hearted, honest, open, dependable, and hilarious men.  That being said, some pretty uncomfortable things get said when large quantities of alcohol enter the equation.  By myself as well; I've certainly been the culprit of saying inappropriate things to female friends when drunk and then having to apologize later on.  Maybe I should just start wearing a watch with an alarm clock on it that signifies it's a good time to leave... 

Update: It's a couple years old, but I just read a funny and relevant article from Scientific American about this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment