Sunday, October 25, 2015

That's one mellow rabbit...

It’s midterm and homework scoring time for me, and I’d like to share some things that my students wrote that brought a smile to my face.

Some of my classes had a homework assignment in which they had to write a paragraph describing one of their long-term goals, and here are some of the responses I got:
  • My long-term goal is to be Egypt.
  • My long-term goal is to become a gracias choir (I thought she'd made a spelling mistake, but it’s actually a thing.)
  • I would like to make a boyfriend (In Korean, people say “make a partner” rather than “get a partner”).
  • I will play with my boyfriend.
  • My long-term goal is that I will buy my house and live with three cats.  When I graduate a universe, I will make money, so I will buy my house.
These same students had to describe photos on their midterm exam using a sense word (feel, smell, taste, etc.) and an adjective; I got these delightful responses:





 I laugh at these good-naturedly; I’ve made a ton of mistakes while learning and practicing Korean, like the time I told an ER nurse that I was taking doughnuts as medication, or the time I told a Buddhist monk that I was gay because I liked vegetables (I’d just started learning Korean, and the words for vegetable and woman are kind of similar). 

When I make a mistake in front of my class and my students get to laugh with me – with me, because I always laugh at myself – it’s an important moment.  They get to see that their professor is just a human being like they are, doing her best and learning from her mistakes.  The best example of this was when we were talking about exotic foods we’d eaten; I wanted to tell my students that I’d eaten alligator (ageo), but what I actually said was that I’d eaten a human baby (agi).  Lols forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment